Our children are growing in God!

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Real Friendship

Some of my "out of control friends"!

Having lunch with friends is something I enjoy. During a lunch date with a girlfriend, our conversation gravitated towards Christian friendships. I was astonished to hear her concerns about the superficialness of relationships with Christian women. I, too, have felt the disconnection from some Christian women. I want to go much deeper than the typical, "Hi, how are you?". However, as a typical human, I just figured it was me. You know, its you, its me...

I have a past, my own story. I desire to share it with other women who will see where I have been and how far I have come from there. I want to share my experiences, my life with people. That is what friendship is about. I even would love to have someone to keep me in check with reality and pick me up when I fall.

How is any of the above mentioned possible if we remain superficial? How come it is so hard for us to get past chitchat and open up to share our lives? After all, Adam was lonely so God created Eve. We must be a social people, or we would not desire such a connection with people. We are created to fellowship, to have relationships. Why is it so hard for women in the Church?

Our society today, more than ever is me, me, me. It is difficult to not be sucked into the facade, but it is not God's way. God clearly tells us to go and make disciples of people (Matt. 28:19). Is that possible if we don't know our Christian family?

My friends, being a woman is a powerful gift from God. We, more than men, are chatty and social and desire meaningful relationships with other people. We are nurturing. Inside every woman is a hurt to share, a joy to proclaim or any of that in between. We can tell when women need women. It is cleverly called women's intuition. If we see a sister crying, lift her up. If we see a sister laughing, ask her to share the joke with you. It is our obligation as women, as Christians to share our lives together.

My eyes were opened that day during my luncheon conversation. I am thankful for that. It is not just me. I am not alone in my feelings and neither are you. Finding that out only made me realize how many people I encounter that I have no idea what they are going through. I need to seek a deeper meaningful friendship with my sisters. I encourage you to do the same. After all, truely knowing someone you will probably spend eternity with must have its perks!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love everyday that I am with you. I always find myself reflecting what I believe about friendship after I leave you. My heart is growing daily and I try and feel that growth with those who want to be there. I have time to spend, but I choose it wiser everyday.
It takes love to ask for help and to share. I find that I am getting better with being friends with people who are opening to needing me. I love to be a suport but I like being lifted up. You have to do both to grow.
Thank you for your friendship.