Our children are growing in God!

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Team Conversion

Many of you know that God called a great man home last week, Brad Wims. He had been battling cancer for the last 2 years. He was an inspiration and true example of what it is to be a Christian and even in his darkest hour, remained faithful. His reward, I know is great in Heaven.

I have always been a Longhorn fan, even before I was a Texan. It also has helped that my nephew desires to go to OU, UT rivals, so it has made for some fun family rivalry. But after the last few months, my heart wants to "Whoop".

Let me tell you why... Brad was an Aggie through and through. I didn't know much about what programs were available for Christians at A&M, but I know now. There is a group called AFC (Aggies For Christ) and I am just in awe of all that they have done for Brad. They have supported Brad and his wife Jenny financially, and spiritually through this long and trying process. They had a beautiful event in his honor last year where the acappella singing almost blew the roof of SECOC off! The church in College Station has collected and provided for the Wims family. It is just amazing.

I attended the Celebration of Life for Brad on Saturday, and can not remember a time that I was so moved, partly because of the man we were celebrating, the stories being told about him, but some of it was because of the love there. I have never known someone so loved before. I felt the love from our congregation at SECOC for them, and of course, my own love for the family, but when you experience the love of people who had seen Brad in his best days and at his worst and they just want to do nothing except honor him and take care of his family, I just want to let out a big "Whoop".

You know the Church of Christ community is really a small world. It is a world I grew up in, but now that I am older and have lived all over the country, I am amazed how many of us are connected through one other Christian. What an awesome support system we have through our Christian brothers and sisters. I am so blessed by that. God bless all of you with hearts bigger than your pockets and your abilities, but who have sacrificed so brothers and sisters in dire need are set at ease and taken care of. Dr. Michael Harbour hit the nail on the head when he said that is what God had in mind for church. I am completely inspired by that and am seriously considering a team conversion.

1 comment:

Angie Campbell said...

Whoop to that! I was a member of the AFC as well and graduated with Brad and Bryan, and wouldn't trade those years for anything ever. My best friends are Aggies, and we all stand together in CHRIST. And Nothing is stronger than the bond of the Christian.