Our children are growing in God!

Monday, March 2, 2009

Father-Daughter Banquet

Kevin was honored when Karis asked him to speak at the annual Father-Daughter Banquet at Southeast Church of Christ, where we were members until we moved. We knew for over 6 months, but never told the girls we were going. I just generously bought them new outfits and told them we had "special" plans. They were rather upset when they saw that Kaden didn't have to dress up and of course, thought that it must be because he is our favorite. We traveled back to our beloved Houston and the girls were excited and surprised! Kaden and I went to dinner with friends while the girls and Kevin stayed at the banquet. I must say that I am so proud of what Kevin said that I would like to brag and share his "speech" with you.
" Good evening. As you knwo tonight's theme is 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love'. Being the annual Father-Daughter banquet, I would like to take a few moments to tie these two things together.

The Lord has blessed me by allowing me to not only be here tonight fellow shipping with you all, but to have my 3 daughters in my company. There are many gifts in life that are worthwhile to talk about, but tonight is all about our little 'sweethearts'.

The instant they came into my life, I knew there was a special bond between us. From their small fingers and toes to their warm smiles and glowing eyes, and not to mention that little baby smell, they were special. Psalm 144:12 says 'Then our sons in their youth will be like well nurtured plants and our daughters will be like pillars carved to adorn a palace'. Isn't that so true? When we look at our daughters we can see so many beautiful things about them. Not only physical but mental and emotional as well. it doesn't matter that each of then look different from each other, like different things, talk different, or act different. With our 'daddy' vision we see a beauty in each and every one of them. In times of good or bad, that beauty is still there, that's the 'Crazy little thing called Love'.

As fathers it is our duty to care and protect our daughters in every aspect possible and ensure to direct them down the right path of life. Proverbs 22:6 'Train a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not turn from it'. If we care about our daughters we will guide and teach them about the path of the Lord and it will be an everlasting seed. What greater love for them could we have than to teach them of eternal life? Every child will stray at times, but if the roots we plant are deep enough they will always have access to the water of life. What's hardest for me is that I can't plant my knowledge of past mistakes into them and they understand. As free souls they will make choices that might disappoint a parent, but whatever it may be it will never stop that ' Crazy little thing called Love'.

We all think about worldly things in our life that we enjoy and appreciate. Houses, cars, TVs...but what about our daughters? They bring that special spark to our eyes and our hearts fill with pride over some of the smallest things. Proverbs 17:6 starts by saying 'Children's children are crown to the aged'. Our legacy lives on through our daughters and we hope that the seed of faith we planted in them can be passed on to others. Having a daughter is a treasure for a dad, a crown that will last. I would like to think that 50 years down the road if my daughters were asked why they are the way they are, they might reply 'Because of a crazy little thing called Love."

WHAT A GREAT DAD MY CHILDREN ARE BLESSED WITH.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kevin that was an awesome speech. I am proud of this family and I hope that they all know it.

The girls look great in their picture. Kensi's hair is really cute.

OHHH I miss everyone of you so much.